LouisianaLawHelp.orgLouisiana Law Help

Non-Parent Relative Custody (Grandparents and Others)

Learn about your issue

  • Louisiana Civil Legal Navigator

    Not sure where to start your legal research? Try the Louisiana Civil Legal Navigator. Answer a few questions about yourself and your situation to get customized legal information, local court forms, referrals to legal aid, and more. Available for Divorce, Child Custody, Employment Law, and private Landlord-Tenant Law. Content Detail

    Lagniappe Law Lab
  • Caring for a Relative's Child: The Kinship Care Subsidy Program

    The Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP) gives monthly cash to eligible people taking care of children who are related, but not their own. You can also listen to a sound recording of this resource. Read More

    Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (Hammond Office)
  • Custody and Visitation Rights for Grandparents

    Video and answers to Frequently Asked Questions about custody and visitation rights for grandparents. Read More

    Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (New Orleans office)
    Read this in:
    Spanish / Español
  • Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Resource Guide

    Information about custody, visitation, provisional custody by mandate, adoption, and other legal issues that face grandparents. Read More

    Northwest Louisiana Pro Bono Project
  • Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP)

    Information about the Kinship Care subsidy program from the state agency. KCSP provides cash assistance of $222 per month for each eligible child who resides with a qualified relative other than a parent. A child may meet the eligibility requirements for both the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP) and Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP) but may only receive assistance in one program. Content Detail

    Louisiana Department of Children & Family Services
  • Provisional Custody by Mandate- How do I transfer custody of my child temporarily and voluntarily?

    This guide has some basic information about provisional custody by mandate in Louisiana. There is also a link to a computer program that will create a form for provisional custody by mandate. Warning: depending on your situation, you may need additional forms or different forms. This guide and the form do not cover provisional custody by mandate for any other state. The computer program includes the basic form. The guide and the computer program do not tell you what form you need for your particular situation or how to use the form. If you do not know which form or form or forms you need or how to use your form or forms, try to find a lawyer to help you with your case. Content Detail

    Southeast Louisiana Legal Services
  • Registering Out-of-State Custody Judgments in Louisiana

    Before a Louisiana court will change or enforce a custody judgment originally entered by an out-of-state court, the custody judgment must be registered with the appropriate Louisiana court. This resource gives a step-by-step explanation of how to register an out-of-state custody judgment. Read More

    Lagniappe Law Lab