Gender Marker Process Guide
Authored By: Lagniappe Law
- Updating your gender marker on your legal documents If you are looking for the process to change your name How to revise your gender marker on various identity documents Update by your gender marker by document type How to update your birth certificate in Louisiana How to get a legal court order to update gender marker for your birth certificate
Updating your gender marker on your legal documents
You can choose to revise the gender marker on your identity documents such as your birth certificate so that it matches the gender marker you live every day. Accurate and consistent gender markers on identity documents help you gain access to spaces and resources, as well as drastically reduces the risk of facing violence, discrimination, or harassment.
State laws and administrative policies include requirements, such as proof of surgery and a court order. Be sure to read the requirements and be aware of the costs to obtain accurate identity documents.
- To change gender marker on your birth certificate you must go through the court to see if you qualify. Louisiana state requires proof of surgery with a court order to update gender marker on your birth certificate.
If you have a court order with your updated gender marker you can use this to update your gender marker documents but a court order is not necessary to update your ID documents in most instances.
While an attorney is not needed to go through the gender marker process, a lawyer or someone who has experience guiding others through the process is recommended, in particular, if you are seeking to update your birth certificate through a court order.
How to revise your gender marker on various identity documents
Ultimately, it is your choice to update each one of your legal documents with your gender marker.
Generally, each document has its own set of requirements but the process may be similar. Some processes may be done together, for example, if you are updating your name at the same time as your gender marker.
How to update your birth certificate in Louisiana
Birth certificate laws govern the process by which a state changes (or refuses to change) a gender marker on a person's birth certificate. You can choose to revise the gender marker your birth certificate.
- LA state requires proof of gender affirming surgery and court order certifying gender marker.
- An applicant must submit a petition to the court.
- After obtaining a court ordered gender change, you can apply for an updated birth certificate.
While an attorney is not needed to go through the gender marker process, it is highly recommended you speak to a lawyer or someone who has experience guiding others through the process before seeking to update gender marker through court order in Louisiana.