Registering Out-of-State Custody Judgments in Louisiana

Authored By: Lagniappe Law Lab

Steps to Register an Out-of-State Custody Judgment

To complete the registration, you will need:

  • a letter or other document requesting registration of the custody order; (you can use the form below)

  • two (2) copies, including one (1) certified copy, of the custody order;

  • a notarized statement that to the best of the knowledge and belief of the person seeking registration, the order has not been modified; and

  • except in cases of emergency jurisdiction, you will need to provide the name and address of the person seeking registration and any parent or person acting as a parent who has been awarded custody or visitation in the custody order requested to be registered. 

Once all of the documents are collected, deliver them by mail or hand delivery to appropriate state court. 


To register an of out-of-state custody order, you can use this Form Letter to Register Foreign or Out-of-State Custody Order.

Notary Locator

To find a notary in Louisiana near you, search here.

Last Review and Update: Oct 29, 2021
Was this information helpful?
Back to top